“…detachment doesn’t mean you don’t let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully. That’s how you are able to leave it. If you hold back on the emotions, if you don’t allow yourself to go all the way through them, you can never get to being detached because you’re too busy being afraid— afraid of the pain, of the grief, of the the vulnerability that loving entails.” -Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Relationships, of any kind, are an overflow of my relationship with Christ, as I would often say. This is a journey of rest and yet times come when I find myself in the middle of a bit of wondering or a moment of being shaken. I suddenly ask, “How come I don’t seem to care much?” , “How come I don’t seem to know how to take care of the people that I am with?” , “How come I don’t seem to really take a hold of the relationships that I have?”
Maybe, I have just accepted too much the unreliability of people and the reality of that truth.
But, if relationships are an overflow of my relationship with Christ, how does God actually relate to me? How does He actually see me? For one, I believe that He sees me altogether lovely, altogether worthy, and altogether wonderful. The thing that He only asks of me is to believe, and yet it is even His Holy Spirit who reveals the truth that brings life to me for every season that I am in. He withholds nothing back. He simply pours and pours. He is caring and sweet. He is loving and He is faithful. And though He perfectly knew the unreliability of His creation, He still made the way for them to be reconciled to Him, He gave His one and only Son to be the perfect sacrifice for His people.
I am unreliable and yet He doesn’t see me in my unreliability. He trusts me more than I could ever trust myself, He believes in me more than I could ever believe in myself. He always sees me pleasing and He loves me just as He loves Jesus.
Jesus’ Love fills my cup until it overflows. Thus, nothing that I give will ever deplete me. I can be attached to people and yet stay full and complete because I dwell in the overwhelming CARE of my Heavenly Father..