Saturday, March 24, 2012

Special day.. Luke's graduation day


My whole life is about my brother. Everything I do, I do for him. Without him, there are a lot of things I would have not done. He has taught me many things as I have watched him grow. He taught me about courage. Our life has been marked by transition, wavering finances, empty home, far from each other. Yet he has navigated these changes with courage, acceptance, and again humor, when all else failed.  It has been remarkable to watch. .

He has a natural tenacity and ability to accept life as it unfolds. I never heard him complain. This is a skill that will serve him well in the years to come, because life is about transformation, a decade’s long process of becoming. There are chapters, but no destinations. And if he is able to visualize each stage as having a beginning, middle, and end it will be easier to recognize God’s plan for him as he chooses to reveal it.  His plan is rarely the same one that we envision for ourselves, so, in the years to come, as he will be surprised or sidelined unexpectedly or sent in directions unanticipated; it will be unfolding as it should be.  That’s when he will appreciate that he has already sharpened abilities to navigate change.
Each chapter has a specific lesson that God, in His all knowing wisdom, sees that we must learn. Painful chapters draw us near to Him, and joyful chapters illuminate the glory and wonder of our world. Both are important.

Senior year is a year of letting go, when being a sister becomes a complicated mixture of pushing him forward and holding him back. I cry that he is big enough to discover, decide on his own and not rely on me anymore but of course, I am so excited for him to embrace this next phase of life.

His education has always been important to me. After mommy passed away, I told myself that I will have him finish school, in any way. How I wish mommy is here to witness this special day.. his graduation day. 

John,

I can't believe that later I will be standing there watching you walk across a stage to be handed your College diploma. I’d probably cry. You've worked so hard to get to this point. I'm proud of you. Mommy is proud of you. Tita Lolit is proud of you. Today is your day to shine. I don't know how to tell or show you how proud I am of you. As you face the real world, I’m worried that I'll miss being able to call you and tell you I love you every day but you know how much I love you and I can never say it enough. I know that you will go far in this life, you deserve the best this world can give you and I know that you will get it.
Even though today is the day I have to let you go to discover the world on your own, please know that I'll be with you no matter where you go and that I'll be there anytime and anywhere you may need me. You are my heart, my soul, my life, and my world. You will always be ate’s everything. I love you john very much and thank you for the best 21 years with you.

I am in your corner, your loudest cheerleader, and proudest Sister.